The EA Meditation Community is a project aimed at connecting people in the Effective Altruism community through meditation. Now, you might like meditation, you might want to join our courses and guided meditations, but can you consider yourself part of the EA community?
Who do we consider part of the EA community?
First things first, this is not the official definition of "being part of the EA community", this is just the one we use. We're not aware of any official criteria.
We consider anyone that wants/tries to dedicate a part of their life to Effective Altruism a part of the EA community.
Some examples of people we consider part of the EA community:
- You are interested in EA; you enjoy learning, reading and discussing the topic and you hope to contribute something in the future.
- You have a job related to EA.
- You don't have a job related to EA, but you're trying to change the working environment around you.
- You don't have a job related to EA, but the money that you donate to charity, you donate effectively.
- You don't have a job, but you really like EA.
- You are a student that is aligned with the EA values and you hope to contribute something in the future.
- You are dedicating your whole life to EA.
- You are dedicating only a little bit of time to EA.
You are all very welcome and if you're still in doubt, feel free to send us an email.
What is Effective Altruism again...
Effective altruism is about using evidence and reason to figure out how to benefit others as much as possible, and taking action on that basis.
Maybe you're new to Effective Altruism, no worries! There are a lot of resources out there. A great place to start: www.effectivealtruism.org
For everyone that just needs a reminder, you might enjoy the following podcast: https://80000hours.org/podcast/episodes/ben-todd-on-the-core-of-effective-altruism/